Mix everything together by hand, or in a food processor, until smooth like paste. Use daily like regular toothpaste.
Why Diatomaceous Earth?
So, many years ago, there lived an ancient type of algae organisms called diatoms. Over the course of millions of years, these diatoms fossilized and accumulated in the sediment of freshwater. Today, this is mined and collected and is, what we know as diatomaceous earth (DE). It's a very fine, but very abrasive and tough, substance. If there was a number scale of hardness, and diamonds were Number 10, DE would sit somewhere around an 8.
This characteristic alone already makes DE a great candidate for teeth cleaning. Fine, abrasive powders (like DE and baking soda) are great for removing plaque from on and between the teeth. Before going any further, it is so important
for me to point out that only food-grade diatomaceous earth should be used on or around living beings.
Industrial DE is superheated and is deadly to humans.
A high percentage of DE is silica, and this is vital to tooth and enamel health. It is a naturally occurring substance, so there is very little concern about the body rejecting it.
There has been a lot of talk
about remineralizing your teeth by naturally supporting them, and DE is at the top of quite a few lists. Another interesting feature of DE is the fact that it has a strong negative charge. This unique factor causes things like chemicals, viruses, bacteria, and heavy metals to be drawn to it. You can see why drawing these toxins out, and then spitting them into the sink with the toothpaste could be greatly beneficial for oral (and overall) health.
Why Bentonite Clay?
Bentonite Clay is a huge name
when it comes to drawing out toxins, maintaining pH, and addressing gastrointestinal concerns. It's pretty obvious that clay attracts toxins, because it is so popular for face and body masks.
The incredible properties of bentonite clay can be seen the moment it is mixed with the water. This clay is actually aged and weathered volcanic ash, and it changes right down to the molecules when moisture is added. Once it becomes wet, bentonite clay becomes somewhat of a sponge, soaking up every bit of moisture,
and multiplying in size. This "soaking up" action continues when you brush your teeth with it. Bentonite clay is super porous and once the toxins are sucked in, because of the electrical charge, they remain there.
Why Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil is a natural antibacterial. Oils with antibacterial properties have been found to cling to the biofilm, or plaque, of the teeth, removing high numbers of bacteria. Coconut oil
alone has shown huge benefits to the mouth and teeth.
Like the peppermint oil, the xylitol is mostly for taste. Xylitol is a natural sweetener that is made from the fibrous material of plants. Traditional, refined sugar basically feeds the bacteria
on your teeth. The sugar throws them into overdrive, causing them to multiply even more rapidly. That's why more sugar = more cavities.
This rapid growth in bacteria causes your body to respond by lowering (making it more acidic) the pH of your saliva. Xylitol helps maintain the pH of your mouth, while also acting as a barrier on your teeth. The bacteria that cause tooth decay are unable to process Xylitol and their numbers begin to fall dramatically.
I store my toothpaste in a container on the bathroom sink, and simply dip my toothbrush to coat.
The mint and xylitol really help with any dirt-like flavor
from the clay or DE. The first time I brushed, a little of the clay did begin to coat my tongue, but once I got some saliva and water working in there, it quickly washed away.
This toothpaste left my teeth feeling smooth and clean for hours.
Even after I ate lunch (and a cookie),
I found myself running my tongue over my teeth because they felt so smooth.
I hope you love it as much as I do!
Until next time,